Nissan’s Gigacasting Revolution: Slashing EV Costs & Complexity

Nissan is jumping on the gigacasting bandwagon to revolutionize the production of electric vehicles (EVs). Gigacasting, a cutting-edge manufacturing technique championed by Tesla, involves creating large, single pieces of a vehicle’s structure in a single go. By implementing gigacasting, Nissan aims to slash EV component costs by 10% while reducing vehicle weight by 20%. The brand’s foray into this advanced manufacturing technique is part of its larger strategy to reduce overall expenses by 30%, potentially saving a whopping $1 billion in development costs for their upcoming EV models.


Battling the high purchase prices that hinder widespread EV adoption, Nissan’s pivot to gigacasting is set to transform the way EVs are produced. Gigacasting involves casting large sections of a car’s structure in one piece, streamlining production, cutting costs, and making vehicles lighter. This move is part of Nissan’s ambitious plan to have battery-powered cars account for 40% of its sales by 2031, with a new generation Leaf expected to hit the market in 2025.

Why does it matter?

By adopting gigacasting, Nissan is aligning itself with other industry giants like Tesla, Toyota, Hyundai, and Ford in the race to revolutionize EV manufacturing. The shift to gigacasting not only reduces costs but also simplifies production processes, enhancing efficiency and potentially making EVs more accessible to a broader audience. As the automotive landscape evolves towards sustainable solutions, Nissan’s embrace of gigacasting signals a strategic move towards shaping the future of electric mobility.

How is it going to shape the future?

Nissan’s embrace of gigacasting signifies a significant step towards enhancing the affordability and sustainability of EVs. By leveraging this innovative manufacturing technique, Nissan is paving the way for lighter, more cost-effective electric vehicles that could drive the industry towards a more environmentally conscious and economically viable future. As Nissan gears up to introduce gigacasting-enabled EVs to the market by 2027, the automotive landscape is poised for a transformative shift towards cleaner, more efficient mobility solutions.